A glimpse into the fascinating history of anatomy in Cambridge, explore the wide-ranging benefits of a dissection-based teaching programme, and share our vision for the future
Wed 15 March, 6-7pm, Anatomy Lecture Theatre, Free event
Exploring the fascination with anatomical images in current times and how this has evolved through the history. Just what is it about anatomical art that demands our attention and has such a strong power?
Sat 18 March, 10:30-11:30am, Anatomy Lecture Theatre, Free event
How does autism affect people's lives and relationships? What has research revealed about the causes of autism and potential treatments? An introduction to how these questions are being addressed in the clinic and in the laboratory.
Sat 18 March, 12pm-1pm, Physiology Lecture Theatre, Free event
An introduction to the concept of developmental programming, where a person’s risk of chronic disease in adulthood is related to their development in the womb. How current research into placental function is changing our understanding of obstetric problems.
Sat 18 March, 2:30-3:30pm, Physiology Lecture Theatre, Free event
Come meet researchers from 6 PDN groups and discover the personal side of science!
- Eye spy with my little fly - Experience fly vision by building paper compound eyes, and slip into a fly's shoes by looking around you through a VR headset.
- May the force be with neuron: physics in the brain - Hands on event about brain mechanics, including a computer game about axon guidance.
- Electroreception: a sixth sense - How do fishes use eletroreception as an additional sense, and how does this system develop?
- Zebrafish and the immune system - Observations and playful activities on the immune system with the help of the Zebrafish animal model.
- Mantis shrimp vision - Explore mantis shrimp vision and predatory capacity, using props and 3D models of the audiovisual system.
- ArtAnatomy - anatomical body painting - Demonstration about human anatomy and bone props, including body painting for children and adults.
Sat 18 March, all day, Marquee on the lawn, Downing Site, Hands on, Drop-in free event