About The Edwards-Steptoe Research Trust
Robert 'Bob' Edwards and Patrick Steptoe put their skills, commitment, time and resources into their research into IVF, more often than not meeting opposition from fellow scientific and medical professionals, the press, and the political and religious establishments - opposition that would have daunted or stopped most investigators. However, very early on, it was their patients who recognized that they were fighting battles on several fronts, including the absence of funding for their research. They started to offer donations to support the work, and Bob and Patrick set up a Trust Fund in 1973 as a home for these funds. The Trust Fund initially supported their own work, and then later under Bob's guidance offered limited support for small projects by others.
The work of Bob Edwards and Patrick Steptoe has transformed the lives of millions through their work to alleviate the personal tragedies of infertility and genetic disease. Although this charity to support their research was initiated by donations from grateful patients, it is now supported internationally by patients (past and present), by the children born as a result of their research work, by their professional colleagues, and by well-wishers, all of whom share their compassion and aspirations.
WHAT DO WE DO?
Research underpinned their success, and research is still needed for the further safe development of new technologies. Income from the Charity’s endowed fund will be used to support aims close to Bob & Patrick’s hearts, including
(i) The development of low cost simpler therapies for use
by less well off patients world wide
(ii) To develop, foster and engage ethical deliberation and practice relating to the control and promotion of human reproduction internationally
(iii) To provide seed-corn funds to help more junior investigators develop interdisciplinary research projects
(iv) To develop opportunities to engage in public education about Assisted Reproductive Technologies
(v) To support follow-up studies in the Assisted Reproductive Technologies
The trustees now invite you to make further donations to build an endowment that will commemorate in perpetuity these remarkable pioneers in ART.
WHO ARE WE?
- Professor Martin Johnson FRCOG (Chief Executive Officer): Professor of Reproductive Sciences, University of Cambridge & formerly research student of Bob Edwards
- Professor Peter Braude FRCOG, FMedSci: Emeritus Professor of Obstetrics and Gynaecology, Kings College, London
- Ruth Edwards: research collaborator and wife of Robert Edwards
- Professor Sir Richard Gardner FRS: Emeritus Professor, University of Oxford & formerly research student of Bob Edwards
- Professor Andrew Steptoe FMedSci: British Heart Foundation Professor of Psychology, University College London and son of Patrick Steptoe
- Mr David Martin (Treasurer): Whitmarsh Sterland, Cambridge
The Advisory Panel:
- Dr Kamal Ahuja: Director, London Women’s Clinic & formerly research student of Bob Edwards. London - UK
- Dr Peter Brinsden: Former Director of Bourn Hall Clinic. UK
- Dr Jacques Cohen: Scientific Director of Assisted Reproduction at the Institute for Reproductive Medicine of Saint Barnabas & formerly research associate of Bob Edwards. New Jersey - USA
- Dr Alan De Cherney: Chief, Program in Reproductive Endocrinology and Science at NICHD, & Editor of Fertility and Sterility, Bethesda - USA
- Dr Colin Howles: Vice President of Regional Medical Affairs, Merck Serono SA & formerly research associate of Edwards & Steptoe, - Geneva - Switzerland
- Dr. Zaid Kilani: Founder and Director of the Farah Hospital, Amman - Jordan
- Professor André Van Steirteghem: Editor of Human Reproduction, Brussels - Belgium